A quote in today’s Wall Street Journalabout mass murdering theater shooter James Egan Holmes reminded us of the classic Arlo Guthrie song, Alice’s Restaurant. In an attempt to get out of army service, Guthrie’s character presents himself
to the psychiatrist as a crazy killer- which is apparently just what the army is looking for:
And I went up there, I said, “Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I
wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
KILL, KILL.” And I started jumpin up and down yelling, “KILL, KILL,” and
he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
yelling, “KILL, KILL.” And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
sent me down the hall, said, “You’re our boy.”
The WSJ quotes the gun range owner as finding James Holmes’ voice mail to be”incoherent and bizarre”, but then calling him back two more times anyway!
On June 25, the Lead Valley Range received Mr. Holmes’ online application with answers to basic questions about age, gun ownership and drug use; all seemed normal, said range owner Glenn Rotkovich.
Mr. Rotkovich called Mr. Holmes to set up an orientation time, and heard an “incoherent, bizarre” voice-mail message, which he described as “very guttural.” “There was all kinds of low groaning in the middle,” Mr. Rotkovich said. He called twice more and left three messages. The range never heard from Mr. Holmes.
We’re not gun experts, nor psychiatrists, but it seems to us that the advice we got from Mom regarding food of questionable provenance in our refrigerator applies- when in doubt, throw it out. Even the NRA would agree that guns are serious business- why take chances with ‘incoherent and bizarre’?
- A closer look at the guns that James Holmes allegedly used (abc4.com)
- Sick: Dems Exploit Dark Knight Massacre – Some Already Trying to Blame the Tea Party UPDATE: Just Nuts? (nicedeb.wordpress.com)
- Colorado shooting: Barack Obama and Mitt Romney stay silent over gun controls (mytechnologyworld9.blogspot.com)
- Colorado shooting: Picture emerges of chaotic scene, suspect James Holmes (csmonitor.com)
- American Psycho, You Can Go Holmes Again (11oclocknews.typepad.com)