It’s been a tough summer for 63 year old Everglades City airboat captain Wallace Weatherholt. On June 12, an alligator jumped out of the water as he dangled a fish, biting off his hand. Though wildlife officials were able to track and kill the 9
foot alligator, and removed the hand from its stomach, doctors were unable to reattach the hand. Now, after a month-long investigation, salt has been poured upon his wounded hand. Police have arrested Weatherholt and charged him with unlawful feeding of an alligator. The misdemeanor carries a fine of up to $500 as well as possible jail time.
Captain Hook was released on bail, presumably muttering to himself about the damned alligators.
- Alligator bites off hand of airboat tour captain (miamiherald.com)
- Alligator bites off hand of Everglades airboat captain (usnews.msnbc.msn.com)
- Man Loses Hand To Alligator While On Everglades Tour (fox2now.com)
- Boat tour guide has more surgery after hand eaten by alligator (miamiherald.com)
- Alligator Bites Hand Off Everglades Tour Guide (gadling.com)
- Alligator killed after biting off hand of Everglades airboat captain (preciousjules1985.wordpress.com)